Moments of Bayanihan | The Unknown Soldier

Posted by on Monday, November 5, 2012

Libingan ng mga Bayani
- The Unknown Soldier - 

"Here Lies a Filipino Soldier Whose Name is Only Known to God."

Libingan ng mga Bayani (Heroes Cemetery) in Taguig City, Philippines is where I spent my night for the Undas (Halloween). It just feels right that I wanted to share a piece of my experience and feature the story in this blog. This was my first time being here with a bag full of questions to fill a curious mind. 

It is probably the best time to visit the area, after all, this is the Halloween and the cemetery is open for twenty-four hours from November 1-2, 2012. I spent two days and a night just taking photos of our heroes. 

Libingan ng mga BayaniWhile roaming around the evening, it felt like romance having to see elderly people lighting up candles. Children were also there listening stories of valor. But what actually caught my heart is the tomb called the "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier" situated in the center of the cemetery. 


This was specifically established in memory of those soldiers whose names have not been known after their death mainly because their bodies are no longer in the shape of recognition. 

When I was munching every moment and pondering the beauty of their sacrifice. One stranger stood beside me and openly shared his heart. He said, "How great can this be? A soldier whose name is unknown to all of us but he has full of my respect." I felt it. And from that moment, it somehow feels good to be reminded of what Bayani (Hero) truly calls for!


One or many has to know that we Filipinos owe our freedom from these men who did the ultimate sacrifice of accepting death for the love of his country. How can the nameless be full of respect? Because he is a hero. 

I took my last photo (first photo above) under the shimmering stars at 0300H. I just felt that these stars were there for a reason... It felt like I am glancing through every legacy and sacrifice of the soldiers who were not named. 

Oh! Only God knows, but whoever you are... I thank you Sir Soldier Sir!

In lieu with the season of remembering our soldiers, I am dedicating this post to my grandfathers and their siblings who dedicated their service before I was born. I did not know very much about your lives and the things you've done to free this country. But this fact constantly give me that amazement that loving this great nation is part of my blood. 

Happy Undas everyone! 

And I'm proud to be an Filipino, 
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, 
who gave that right to me.”
~ excerpts from Lee Greenwood, edited.

© iamreservist

6 Comments

  1. kanang "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier" wala na siya'y sulod nga mga kalansay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, ang alam ko wala. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christian | Lakad PilipinasTuesday, November 06, 2012

    di ka man nagyaya! gusto ko rin mag shoot dyan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Bai. Everything happened so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ganda naman Drey! They're the true hero of our country.. Sacrificing their lives for the sake of the others kahit pa 'yong kapalit nun ay bangkay na pag-uwi ;'(

    ReplyDelete
  6. hala ka oi. wa ko kadawat ug notification nga nag reply ka.. loser kau ko hahaha! kung wala ko nag comment sa 1 ka blog nga disqus sad ang gamit, di ko kabantay sa imong reply doh :P

    ReplyDelete